It’s that time of year again where I start to pool together my second shooters for weddings, and every year it gets a little trickier as they all have their own businesses as well and get busier and busier every year with their own weddings! But here are a few things that I look for before I ask someone to second for me. I look for second shooters who:
- Are established in their own business, and have shot plenty of weddings as the primary.
- Have their own gear, and shoot with full-frame cameras (Nikon or Canon) as well as professional grade lenses and flash.
- Shoot 100% manual, in RAW mode.
- Are confident and carry themselves professionally always. Are friendly and warm to my clients and who love to have fun while shooting!
- Are available for a minimum of 8 hours on the wedding day. But are welcome to stay with me the entire day.
- Bring a creative edge of their own. We really work together to deliver amazing images to my wedding clients, I truly believe two photographers are sometimes better than one.
I consider myself so lucky to have a calendar booked with beautiful clients at some of the most sought after venues in Michigan & beyond. I could not and would not be able to keep things running smoothly with the help of some pretty amazing second shooters. There’s something really awesome about second shooting a wedding. It allows you to push your limits beyond what you normally would do when you’re shooting for someone else, and even lets you step outside of your comfort zone for a part of the day. I was lucky return the favor and shoot two very different weddings with my talented niece & nephew Dave and Candice in 2013. Late last summer, Candice & I decided to take a little vacation (basically that means that there was a wedding booked in a super cool place and we could mix work with play. And boy did we ever! Such a beautiful day on the beaches of Leelanau in Northern Michigan, and by the end of the night we had kicked off our shoes and joined the wedding party on the dance floor. And some of my favorite shots from a timeless wedding I second shot for them in Downtown Detroit:
Heyyyy wait a minute. Who’s that pretty lady?
My wedding schedule is almost full for this year, and I am always looking for talented second shooters. So if you are at all interested in second shooting for me take a look below and feel free to contact me directly at info@Mishellelamarand.com. Please make sure to include a link to your website and/or portfolio.
add a comment